Thursday, October 27, 2011

Skua

Damn it, damn it, damn it!  I keep forgetting the weather report, damn it!  9 degrees + 18mph wind = -9. The wind was barely there most of the day though so it was about 0 degrees so it was way nicer than the couple days before with the crazy wind.  I can't believe I'm trying to say 0 degrees was "nice", what the hell is wrong with me?! I've been here too long already apparently.

What's up suckas?!  It's a multi post kind of day I guess. I told you guys before about the crazy amount of recycling we do here. Well part of that is "skua" which is basically stuff that you don't want anymore but is still usable. So you drop it in a Skua bin and someone sorts it and takes it over to "Skua Central". Skua Central is kind of like Goodwill but everything is free.  So I went on over to see what they had.  I ended up taking a book and a scarf. <--I can't believe the Arizona boy just scrounged a freakin SCARF!  I took some pics of some of the stuff I saw that I thought was cool. 

I also took a pic of one of the vehicles that is going on the South Pole Traverse.  I haven't mentioned that before but the traverse is how they refuel the South Pole station.  They take a massive train of vehicles to get 112 fuel bladders down there. I have no real idea how much fuel they hold but they're huge, I'd guess they hold hundreds or thousands of gallons of fuel each.  So they tow all these bladders along with mobile buildings that have everything they need like a kitchen, toilet, sleeping quarters, etc.  They're on the traverse for about 30 days and travel 1,000 miles each way.  I can't even imagine sitting in a vehicle for 30 days driving. Those guys have to be a little out of their minds. I'll try to take some more pics of the stuff they're going to take on the traverse.

For the Traverse...
 Skua...
 Dude like I totally could have like gotten Waynes World dude, like dude...
 You could mix all this stuff together and make quite the creamy, mexican and herbally chicken delight...
 These are either giant knitting needles or murder sticks but I'm not sure which...


1 comment: