Friday, March 2, 2012

tourist boat

 Well it's been quite a while since I posted an update. I've been kinda busy lately. All of my co-workers have all gone so I'm all alone in my building now. There are a bunch of buildings that don't get used in the winter. So they shut off the heat and let the buildings go cold to save energy. So I've been busy running around to all those buildings and pulling out the PC's, monitors, and printers before they freeze up.

We had a tourist ship make a little stop here a week or so ago. I saw a few of them in the store buying "Antarctica" trinkets. I didn't talk to any of them but someone was telling me that it can cost $20 GRAND to come here as a tourist!  Yes, thats a "2" followed by 4 zeros! Not only did they pay for me to come here, but they're paying me well to be here. So I think one of us got the shaft on their trip to the ice, and I don't think it was me.

The resupply ship is gone and almost everyone is out of here now. There are only about 200 people left now.  The last 45ish people or so are leaving on the last flight on Monday, then we're stuck.

The water is all open now after the ice breaker tore it all up and the wind blew most of the ice out of here. It actually really seems like the ocean now, it doesnt seem like it when it's all frozen over.

Everyone in the Tiki lounge had been pouring out over the last couple weeks. It's weird to see each of the rooms suddenly empty and all these people I've been living with since October just going away.  I finally got my winter room so I'm out of the Tiki Lounge myself now.  I'm getting my room all setup the way I want it. I'll post some pics of the new room when I'm all done.











Oh, I used to get requests for the temp all the time when I first got here and it was cold. I didn't really think about it when it warmed up but it's getting cold again so I'll try to remember to post it again.  Right now the ambient temp is -2, with 28mph wind making the windchill -28.

The tourist ship, "The Spirit of Enderby"...



 Coming ashore to play...
 Look its the ocean...


 So, one of the buildings I had to go take equipment out of was the helo hanger.  I have no idea how you can wedge 5 helicopters in this one building but as you can see they managed to do it.  That's a hell of a parking job if you ask me...

 This is the the narrowest staircase I've ever used, just for the record...




One of the empty rooms in the lounge...
 Another one that's empty now, kinda creepy in a way...
 My room with all my roommates gone. Last man standing...


No comments:

Post a Comment