Friday, January 27, 2012

Visit to the fuel tanker

So I just got the opportunity to go out on the fuel tanker to setup a laptop. I went with the comms guys and they setup a wireless connection and phone so they can call shore, and we can call them directly. I was a little worried because we had to walk across the ice peir to get on, ya know that ice pier I mentioned before that they were calling "slushy", and someone stepped in the wrong spot yesterday and sunk up to his knee!  Oh well, I had a life vest on just in case so I wouldn't have sunk, probably just froze to death, but luckily I didn't. Yay me!

The comms guys had trouble getting the internet connection up. So I'm back at my desk waiting for them to setup some other antennae system. Once it's up I'll try and connect to the laptop remotely and hope it works. If not then I guess I'm going back out. 

So since I'm just sitting here killing time I thought I'd post the pics I took for you guys.

This is what 7,000,000 gallons of gas looks like if you were curious...
 No one on board seemed to have a lighter, wtf!
 Thats a really steep climb...



 On the bridge...
 
 Trying to mount the antennae.

 Thats lotsa pipes or something...
 I dont know what those things do but they looked fancy...
The wheel of power...
 Implement of death...
 The ice pier and stuff. You can also see the antennae that they setup for the phone system...
 I dont know 
UPDATE: Apparently this is St. Francis of Assisi, patron saint of a bunch of stuff. Thanks, Chris...
 That's alots of buttons and switches. I wanted to push em all...




Wait, is this supposed to be happening on a fuel tanker? Where are the exits again?
 Setting up a containment boom in case there is a spill...

 Boat on a boat, kinda like those Russian nesting dolls, I'm sure there was a smaller boat inside that one...


No comments:

Post a Comment