Thursday, January 12, 2012

More Boom & Fiber Optics

They've been doing a bunch of blasting lately so I have another video for you.  I may have mentioned Scott Base before, it's the New Zealand base that's down the round a bit and around a mountain.  Every Thursday they have "American Night", so you can go shop in their store and drink in the bar over there. There wasn't really anything I wanted to buy in the store but I did want to take the cute little Kiwi girl who was running the register with me. I left her there but I'm regretting that decision already. :( I took some really cool pics of the ice from over there for you guys. I don't think some of the amazing things I've taken pictures of really come through in the pics the same way it is to see it in person. That's all I can do for ya though. Anyway, yesterday I got an opportunity to help out the telecom guys run some fiber optic cabling. It's part of NASA's JPSS project I mentioned to you guys before. It's a 1.5 mile long cable run that started at one of NASA's Radomes up on a mountain nearby. They already had it most of the way but they just needed help getting it through a bunch of junction boxes and conduit going through town until we got it over to the Joint Space Operations Center building. It's really not that big a deal but its still cool to get to be the teenie tiniest little part of it. So if they ever use JPSS to discover something totally amazing then I can say I totally helped hook that shit up, son. Booya!

This is not my tube of Wild Garden Traditional Hummus Dip, I saw it sitting on my roommates bed and found it funny for some reason. So now you've seen a random tube of Wild Garden Traditional Hummus Dip, take that...

 We had to go out to this building that's right next to the ice pier to install several computers. They'll use them during the resupply ship offload...
 There is the ice pier. It's a big soupy mess so that's why they're bringing in some floating pier system that they have never ever tried before, fingers crossed...

 We got new washers a little while back, apparently they went with the Whirpool Racist 1000...

 That white dome in the background on top of that mountain is the NASA Radome I mentioned earlier...
 That's one of the junction boxes we were routing the cables through...
 A couple hundred feet of the cable, it's only about as big around as my middle finger but there are 84 fiber optic strands in there. Mmmmmmm bandwidthhhhh...
 Waiting at "DJ" for the van over to Scott Base. Derelict Junction, how appropriate:)
 Colddddd...




The ice over at Scott Base breaking up, lots of seals chilling on the ice...
 This was so cool, I wish you guys could see it in person...









This little bastard flew right in front of me to land on that box. So I thought I'd make him a star and put him up on the small screen...
Another kaboom...



No comments:

Post a Comment